The operation of Sevington School in Victorian times.
Original Patrons, Fellows and Aspirations of Sevington School
Lieut. Col. Sir Audley Neeld Bart. C.B.M.V.O.
Lady Harriet Neeld
Diocesan School Inspector:
Charles J. Parker
The Rector of Leigh Delamere, the Reverend William Wynn Lloyd
Miss Elisabeth Squire
The school was established in 1848 for the benefit and education of the children of workers on the Grittleton estate and to prepare them for employment.
The curriculum comprises:
The Catechism and Religious Knowledge
The Christian virtues Reading, Writing and Arithmetic
Spellings and Comprehension
Tables and Mental Arithmetic
Geography and History
Drawing and Craftwork
Drill and Marching
The Object Lesson
Gardening and Geometric Drawing for the boy scholars
Domestic Training and Needlework for the girl scholars
Straw bonnets and blue capes, with a red lining are provided for the girls.
Blue Norfolk jackets are offered to the boys.
All through the generosity of Lady Harriet.
Sturdy leather boots are recommended as well as protective school pinafores.
This is maintained by example and precept in addition to use of the dunce’s cap, the cane, the blackboard, punishment notices and finger stocks.
Girls and infants sit and take recreation separately from the boys.
Payment of the school penny:
A school penny is payable by each scholar for fire coal and lamp oil in the schoolroom.
Scholars are allowed a short recreation period with suitable wooden toys.